Communication Manager – Nebraska Wesleyan University
The communication manager will support internal and external communication efforts across the university. As a highly detail-oriented, organized, creative contributor on the NWU Marketing and Communications team, the candidate will enhance the visibility and reputation of Nebraska Wesleyan University through strategic content marketing and communication efforts. They will develop communication to support NWU’s institutional priorities and be a primary resource for media relations and crisis communication efforts.
- Collaborate, create and implement external communication for the university’s comprehensive programs and internal communication for employees and students.
- Develop content and write stories for marketing materials and the website to enhance the university brand.
- Manage the university’s social media platforms. Collaborate with the multimedia specialist to maximize a digital brand presence and track social media coverage.
- Collaborate with administrators to develop and execute strategic communication, talking points, and content on university initiatives and events.
- Collaborate with administrators to respond to media inquiries and serve as university spokesperson as delegated; Manage sensitive issues to maintain the university’s good reputation.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with news media and influential professionals.
- Arrange media interviews and write news releases to promote the university.
- Update and maintain university crisis communication plan in collaboration with the threat assessment team.
- Communicate safety and security information to employees and students in a timely matter.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or equivalent is preferred.
- Three to five years of professional communications experience is preferred, with knowledge of branding, web content and social media content and platforms. An understanding of photography and design desired.
- Strong skills in writing, editing, proofreading and public speaking.
- Excellent communication planning and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to create and maintain strong relationships with media contacts, vendors, colleagues and others.
- Available to collaborate with administrators and develop appropriate messaging in response to crisis situations.
- Accountable, organized, accurate, detailed and collaborative.